If you do not already know, Hangouts on Air has been moved to YouTube Live. Instead of using Google+ you will be using YouTube. YouTube Live has the same basic setup as Google+. YouTube Live allows you to collaborate with others without having to be in person. This tool can be used for broadcasting information, for business meetings, etc.
Note: If you have events created in Hangouts you will need to delete and recreate them in YouTube Live.
Creating a Live Event
- From the Live Streaming tab, click Events
- Click New Live Event box in the right corner.
- Complete the Basic Info tab.
- Title, description and tags
- Enter Start and End times
- Privacy Settings: Only Public events will appear on your channel, search results and promotion. Choose Unlisted or Private to test events.
Tip: There is a similar feature that Google+ that YouTube has. Events scheduling. That lets you schedule your event for a future date and time.
Example of a Created Event:
YouTube Live Streaming API
The YouTube Live Streaming API lets you create, update, and manage live events on YouTube. Using the API, you can schedule events (broadcasts) and associate them with video streams, which represent the actual broadcast content.
Control who can see the broadcast
When you create a new event, you can select one of three options:
- Anyone can see and access the event.
- The event isn’t shown publicly but anyone with a link can join. This is identical to the previous Google+ Hangouts On Air setting.
- Only people you specifically invite can join the event. You can share the event with a domain, group, or individual.
More detailed questions can be answered such as the information above can be found on this website –
Here is a video explaining some of the advanced setting and other features on YouTube Live. It also explains how to stream. Start the video at 3:10 (3 minutes: 10 seconds) and it should start explaining the advanced settings:
Tyler Howell (@thowellhelpdesk) is a senior at Ash Grove High School in southwest Missouri. He is currently involved with a plethora of extracurricular activities including: FBLA, FCCLA, Track & Field, and a former captain of the football team. Tyler loves helping out students with the google apps. He enjoys using the google applications to assist him in his school work also.